Birds are delightful creatures. They are the quintessential pet for those who want a companion but not all of the work. To that end, choose your bird wisely for your home or apartment.
Some people shun birds in the home because of the noise. Well, it is important to note that all birds are not noisy and there are some that are great for apartment dwellers.
Popular Bird Companions for the Home
1. Parakeets – These birds are quite colorful and fun to look at and be around. They are also referred to as “budgies.” Because they are small, they don’t require a huge cage, although they do like to have room to fly. A medium sized cage will do. You might hear a song or a whistle from this bird but not the racket you might think. More than one parakeet can live together but be sure you have room for them all to stretch their wings. A hardy bird, they can live for about 14 years.
2. Canaries – These birds are always associated in the underworld with ratting out a fellow ne’er-do-well but they are better than this reference implies. This little bird is less than six inches in length. They love the company of other canaries and finches in their cage. As long as you give them what they need, they will pay little attention to you. They don’t like petting nor require it. They can live about 10 years.
3. Finches – These colorful birds are beautiful to observe. They are small like canaries and love to sing. They don’t need human touch but love the company of other birds like themselves. Keep them in a large flight cage and they will sing and fly for you. They can live about 10 years when well cared for.
4. Cockatiels – You may have heard of cockatoos and this is a relative. These birds are a type of parrot that is native to Australia. They love to sing and whistle. Their most striking feature is their shock of pointed feathers on the head. They mostly whistle and sing but they can talk if they want to learn and you are a diligent trainer. Their main color is usually white and grey but you can find them in other color combinations as well. They are medium sized so try to keep one bird per cage. They can live to be as old as 20 years.
5. Lovebirds – They have their claim to fame in the Alfred Hitchcock movie “The Birds” but they don’t usually incite a murderous riot. They are the smallest of the parrot species, coming in at about six inches long. Though small, they are intelligent, very colorful, affectionate and playful. This bird forms a strong bond with its owners. When purchased alone, they require a lot of face time. If you don’t have that kind of time, purchase another lovebird companion for them.
Looking for a bird as a pet? Here are a few choices that may satisfy your needs. Also read up on Animal-World’s Choosing a Pet Bird if you are interested.
Featured Image Credit: James Lee, Unsplash